Upgrade / LED Bulb for A/263 / A/17 

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade / LED Bulb for A/263 / A/17 

Hi All, New member, thanks for letting me in.

I've not done anything with 8mm since the 70s (actually Super8 back then I think). But am working towards getting some standard 8 films digitised.

I have been fixing / attempting to fix various projectors and managed to get a borrowed one working a view a few of the films.

One of the projectors (Eumig 501) is in need of a new bulb (I have checked it is the bulb that's dud not the supply to the socket).

All I can find are A/17s which are relatively expensive and relatively short life.

I discovered A/263s, but these seem to be made of unobtainium.

I did find a user in the States who had managed to build an LED "bulb" to replace an A/17 in another make of projector. Does anyone know of anyone who sells conversion kits for these? or a source of the longer life A/263s?

TIA

Chris

I think the A1/263 lamps weren't around for long . Not seen in Derann's 1994 price list. The box for the one I used says Thorn and a British patent number, so maybe they were the only company to make them.

Comment

Chris
      I suggest you upgrade to the A1/229. It's also 50 watts and 8 volts.
      You will need a lead with a ceramic holder, plus some form of bracket to support it.

A1/229 OSR (cp-lighting.co.uk)
      Ceramic Lamp Bulb Holder Halogen G4 G5.3 G6.35 Heat Resistant With Fly Leads | eBay

Comment

That might need more modifications than that as it states the diameter is 51mm. The reflector in the A1/263 is only 35mm to fit in the space an A1/17 uses. Tony Schapps told me many years ago he couldn't make a kit to fit a halogen reflector lamp in the Eumig 501.

Comment

I bow to greater knowledge. With thanks to Brian.
          Fortunately, I do not have any projectors with the Mae West lamp.

Comment

Chris
            I have been thinking about the problem with the high cost and limited availability of the A1/17 lamps.
            I suggest trading in the Eumig Mark 501 and buying an upgrade model, the Mark 600D. This uses the very easily obtainable A1/231 EFP lamp which comes at a very reasonable cost.
            Eumig Mark 600 D – Spare Part Finder – Van Eck Video Services (van-eck.net)
            Osram A1/231 12v 100w EFP - £3.75 plus vat - Light Bulbs 2 U

Comment

Working...
            X